Georgetown Cupcake

M: So everyone in DC has this weird food fad that I never really understood, but after going to Georgetown Cupcake, I was a little bit more enlightened.
R: I love cupcakes so much(..this is a major understatement). If anyone knows me, they know that I am obsessed. I have had cupcakes from different spots in the area that we may review later, such as Buzz and Red Velvet, but had never been to the world-renown Georgetown Cupcake. It was my cousin’s birthday and we decided to go and get him a birthday cupcake from the hottest cupcake place in town.
M: So we went on a Tuesday afternoon at around 2:00pm and the freakin’ line took 30 minutes to get through. I always saw lines like that in the evening and on weekends, but I was surprised to see it like that at that time. I feel like there is never any downtime. Tells me a lot about the quality of the place.
R: The place is tiny, so they only can let in a few at a time. As we got to the front, Mo was let in, and then the lady told me to stop and wait haha. I proceeded to tell her I was with him and then she let me in.
M: Their menus are these giant cards that have schedules for what kind of cupcakes they make daily (usual stuff), what they make on certain days of the week, and seasonal ones. I got the mint cookies n’ cream which was quite lovely, excuse my language. I was also turned on by the salted-caramel cupcake.
R: It’s so funny to watch all the little teeny boppers taking pictures in front of the signs, and the cupcakes (I shouldn’t poke too much fun, because I was practically doing the same, snapping pics all over the place.)
M: At $2.75 a cupcake, it’s actually cheaper than the other places we’ve been to. The only thing is they charge $.50 to put it in a box, and even more extra for gift wrap.
R: After having the cupcake, I don’t want to say I was disappointed, but I guess I had sky high expectations, and they were only met halfway. I guess I sometimes want a traditional vanilla cupcake with normal buttercream frosting, not this whole Madagascar blah blah frosting. But I guess that’s what makes them different and gourmet. Don’t get me wrong, still a tasty cupcake but I don’t know if I’d wait in that line again for them or pay close to $20 bucks for six cupcakes. It’s just one of those things you need to try once, just to say you did it.

FYI: There is a secret flavor each day that is not on the menu but rather announced via twitter or Facebook. The first 100 people to show up and order it by name get it free,so check that out before you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment