Dama Restaurant

M: I’ve always liked Ethiopian food. I’ve been to are Eyo, Meaza, Lalibela and some others I don’t remember before. Hands down, this is the best one I’ve been to.
R: My very first experience with Ethiopian food was not the best (we ate it elsewhere). Also, I always had this fear that all the food would have raw meat. For those who also have this stereotype that is preventing them from trying it, do not let that fear get in the way. Yes, most Ethiopian places have dishes with raw meat, but you can definitely get your meat cooked.  So, one day Mo suggested we go to Dama. Considering my last experience eating Ethiopian food was not that great, I was a bit hesitant. But I decided to give it a second try. Looking back I am super happy I did. The first time I had eaten it, I had hated the bread, called “injera.” I even told Mo, I would eat the meat without the bread. At Dama, I found myself wanting to ask for additional injera. It has quickly become one of my favorite places to eat.
M: I actually liked the bread from the get go. I remember Raha said her parents didn’t like it cause it looked like a “wet towel”. I think the bread makes the experience. It would be just like everything else if it was with a fork or rice or whatever. Pertaining to that... you’re supposed to eat it with your hands, just in case you weren’t sure.
R: And it gets reallllly messy, so be prepared. Luckily they bring you a wet nap afterwards just like when you eat ribs.
M: So the place itself might be a little confusing. There’s two buildings and three different signs. There’s Dama Restaurant, Dama Diner, Dama Pastry and Cafe, or something like that. Just look for the building with the crazy parking in front. When you first walk in, the restaurant portion is on the right and there’s a mini grocery store to the left. If you walk through the grocery store, you’re in a little coffee/ dessert bar.
R: The first time we came we got a slice of white chocolate cake, espresso and tea. It was all delicious. The espresso came in a very cute clear glass, where you could definitely see the different parts, the cream, the body and the heart. (for all the coffee aficionados out there). The white chocolate cake was light, fluffy and rich tasting. Love love loved it!
M: It’s actually owned by one of my friend’s parents. I’m guessing it’s more authentic since mostly only Ethiopians are there. After going I looked it up on yelp and it actually got really good reviews and an average rating of over 4 (on a scale of 5).
R: On a side note, its not the fanciest of places, but still very cozy. Also, it seems as though they may be currently undergoing some renovation, but don’t let that stop you from dropping by. Definite two thumbs up for this place!!


P.S. if you take a look at the menu and are totally lost as to what to get, go for the Lamb Tibs!!! (Our favorite)

No comments:

Post a Comment