Ravi Kabob


M: This is my favorite Pakistani/ Indian food in the DC area. My family and close family friends actually cater this place often when we have a lot guests over at our houses.
R: I’m persian, so I’d say its my favorite “brown” place to go for kabob. My favorite overall place for kabob is Shamshiry, but we’ll get to that in another post. The main differences for me between middle eastern (persian, arab, etc) kabob joints and brown ones (paki, indian, bengali, etc) are that the middle eastern ones are a bit more simple, more focused on the basics, while the “brown” ones have a lot more spices, and almost always have chick peas on the side.
M: I think the chick peas are actually one of my favorite things here. The spices and flavors are so bold on all the food. When you first walk into the place, you can smell and taste it in the air.
R: I love the samosas! Something I almost always get one while waiting for my meal.
M: Samosas are always a safe bet. They have meat and veggie ones. They usually serve them with green sauce (spicy) and brown sauce (sweet tamarind) on the side. It’s amazing dipping the samosa in a mix of the two.
R: When finding this place, you’ll notice there are two. Ones nicer and more of a sit-down place and the other, seems a lot more run-down (kind of place where you would pick up food to-go)
M: The sit down place would be better to go in a large group. There’s more space so it’s family-oriented. The run-down place is THE place to go. It’s small, cramped, dingy, etc but that’s where the legit food is. It seems as if these are two different restaurants.
R: It may have to do with the cooks? Everyone seems to prefer the older looking one for the food, I’d agree.
M: Next time you’re craving Indian food, in the Ballston area, or just looking for a quick and dirty (not actually dirty) meal, stop by Ravi Kabob and pick some up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment